After a brief pause, Muslim Food Blogger Challenge is back and theme for this month is ‘Back To School Lunch Box Ideas’. I love cooking and packing Lunch Boxes, either it is for office or school….the sole reason is I never carried one. My house was very near to my school and every day me and my sister along with bunch of friends who all stayed nearby use to walk or cycle to house, have our lunch and relax for some time and peddle back to school. Seeing Lil’M carrying her lunch box still gives me jitters and empty lunch box makes me happy.
As we are talking about back to school Lunch Box, today…let me tell you few things which I follow and suggest the moms who ask me, how I manage to send different recipes in my kiddo’s lunch box every day. First thing is I never experiment or give any new recipe in lunch box. I pack only the vegetables or fruits which she normally likes or eats. I don’t stuff lil’M’s lunch or snack box. I even ask her a day before, what she loves to carry in her lunch box. Believe me, giving the kids option to select their own menu, will make them happy and your task easy.
Off many recipes, Sandwiches are Lil’M’s favourite and I try to come up with different stuffing ideas to make sandwiches tasty and filling. Today’s recipe Curried Potato Grilled Sandwiches are lil’M’s favourite lunch box and after school snack. You can even serve these with evening tea/coffee to everyone in the family…they make perfect breakfast on go too.
Curried Potato Grilled Sandwiches
FOR POTATO STUFFING:
- 2 medium sized Potatoes, washed, boiled, peeled and mashed
- ½ tbsp. chopped Green chilies
- pinch Turmeric powder
- ¼ tbsp. Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. minced Coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp. Oil
FOR THE SANDWICHES:
- 2 tbsp. Mayo
- 4 Oats Bread slices
- ½ tbsp. Oregano, optional
- 2 tbsp. Butter/Ghee, at room temperature
- In a skillet, add oil and when it heats up add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds start to splutter, add chopped green chilies and fry for 30 seconds.
- Now add mashed potatoes, salt and turmeric powder. Sauté for 4-5 minutes and turn off the flame. Sprinkle minced coriander leaves and leave to cool.
- In the meantime, heat the sandwich maker or grill pan. Spread mayo on one side of two bread slices and top it with above made curried potato, sprinkle oregano and top it with another bread slice.
- Brush the bread slices with butter on outsides and place them on pre heated grill pan or sandwich maker.
- Grill until crisp on both the sides. Serve or pack warm.
- Add love to make these curried potato grilled sandwiches taste ‘Yummy’.