After lot of thinking I finally named this recipe as ‘Skillet Chicken Mayo Pita Pizza’. As the recipe name reads…this recipe has succulent and spicy shredded chicken pieces, droolicious spread of eggless mayo, aromatic herbs and freshly baked pita. The pita I used in making this pizza is normally used making shawarma and is also called as khuboos. So this recipe can also be called as ‘Khuboos Pizza’.
I happened to find an eat-out near my house which sells freshly baked pitas. They mainly use these to make shawarma and even serve 2-3 pitas with grilled chicken. Shawarma is lil’M’s favourite and we mostly stop by this place on weekends to relish their delicious shawarma’s. When I was in Bangalore I never came across shawarma made with Pita, I remember eating shawarma made with roomali rotis only. Here in Chennai, in most of the places they make shawarma with pita only.
I normally buy fresh baked pita to make pita pockets, which I mostly stuff with boiled eggs and mayo or aloo tikka or mixed beans to go in lil’M’s lunch box. Sometimes I cut them into strips and bake them to make pita chips, which is my favourite tea time or late night snack.
After years of searching and tasting many mayo recipes I finally found a mayo which is perfect to my taste buds and I am glad to find it. I have been using this mayo in many recipes these days. In today’s recipe too, I have used two different types of mayo’s in making this Skillet Chicken Mayo Pita Pizza. I made this for lil’M as an after school snack and we devoured it with a tall glass of freshly squeezed juice. Trying out pizza on tawa/skillet was in my to-do list from so long. I made this pizza in skillet on stove top and it came out so perfect, that I am gonna make this a regular item in my menu from now on…
This is one filling and easy to make after school snack. I have used whole wheat pita in making this chicken mayo pita pizza. This pita pizza is for immediate consumption. By the time I completed clicking pictures of this pita pizza, the base had turned hard like papad. I re-heated it in microwave but it was not so soft, as the fresh one…which I made again for lil’M. Try this easy, cheesy and delicious Stovetop Skillet Chicken Mayo Pita Pizza today…This is my entry to the glorious MFBC #14, where the theme for the month is OLIVES. Check out the linkin tool at the bottom of the post for some interesting and yummy ideas using olives
Skillet Chicken Mayo Pita Pizza
- 1 Arabian Pita/Khuboos
- ½ cup Shredded Chicken
- ½ tbsp. Oregano
- ½ tbsp. Black Pepper powder
- 2-3 Black Olives, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Eggless Mayo
- 1½ tbsp. Smoky Tikka Mayo/Pizza Sauce
- 2 tbsp. grated Mozzarella
- ½ tbsp. minced Coriander leaves
- Brush skillet with a tbsp. of olive oil and place it over stovetop on low flame until warm.
- In the meantime, place pita on a plate and grease it with Smoky Tikka Mayo/Pizza Sauce, top it with shredded chicken and olives. Sprinkle oregano and black pepper. Top this with grated mozzarella and drizzle remaining one tbsp. of olive oil.
- Gently transfer this to warm skillet and cover it with a lid. Cook on low flame for 10-15 minutes till cheese starts to melt.
- Turn off the flame and carefully slide the pita pizza on to a serving plate. Sprinkle minced coriander leaves and serve immediately by drizzling plain mayo (I used eggless mayo, which I mentioned in introduction).
- Add love to make this recipe taste ‘Yummy’.
As me and lil’M are not fan of onions, tomatoes and capsicum on chicken pizza, I skipped adding them. If you like, you can add them along with chicken pieces.