Yet another long weekend is here. For me weekends mostly end in whizz, with me toiling in the kitchen either cooking or baking. So, this weekend, I thought I will make some make ahead munching snacks, to save little time for me. Months back I have downloaded few books to read…but still I have not yet started a single book. If I enjoy anything after cooking…then it is reading….I love to read fiction and if the book is engaging, I end up staying awake till wee hours of the night to complete it…
But with growing priorities and work, I get exhausted by the time I hit the bed and sleep follows. Though I always carry my e-reader to bed, I rarely open it to read a para or page….before sleep engulfs me. So this weekend I thought I will complete at least one book from my long pending downloaded book collection….
Thinking of make ahead snacks…I thought of making roasted murmura chivda. It’s been ages I made this and few days back my husband was talking about chivda, my mom-in-law makes. This will be a surprise for him and for my darling lil’M who loves puffed rice (murmura). This murmura chivda/namkeen as they call it…is every easy to make, spicy to taste and will stay fresh if stored in an air tight container for a week. I have added freshly grated dry coconut, roasted peanuts, thinly sliced and fried green chilies, crisp fried curry leaves to roasted puffed rice. Beware this crunchy, nutty and spicy murmura chivda/namkeen is an addictive snack…so make it in plenty…if you want it to last it over this long weekend….This is a super easy recipe….try it today….
Murmura Chivda/Murmura Namkeen/Kara Pori
- 300 gms. Puffed Rice/Murmura/Marmaralu
- ½ cup roasted Peanuts
- ½ Dry coconut, grated or finely sliced
- 6 green Chillies, washed, pat clean with dry cloth and cut into long strips
- 10-12 fresh Curry leaves, washed, patted and let to dry completely
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- ¾ tbsp. Red Chili powder, adjust according to your taste
- Pinch of sugar
- Salt, as per taste
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel add oil and when it heats up add grated dry coconut and fry till it turns nice brown. Drain and remove on to a kitchen plate and leave it to cool.
- In the same vessel, add cut green chilies and fry until they turn crisp. Remove and set aside. Now add curry leaves and roast until they turn crisp.
- To this add puffed rice and toss for 1-2 minutes. Now add fried green chili, fried sliced dry coconut, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, sugar and roasted peanuts.
- Toss again until all the ingredients are nicely coated with spices. Check for salt and add if necessary. Turn off the flame and remove onto a kitchen plate spread with tissue.
- Once the puffed rice reaches the room temperature, store it in a clean and dry air tight container.
- Add love to make this murmura chivda taste ‘Yummy’.
Looking out for recipes to make with puffed rice, then try these yummy and easy to make snacks…
Chatpati Bhel Puri – much loved Indian street snack….