I was not even an year old into blogging when I first started this event ‘Joy From Fasting To Feasting‘. At that time nearly 10 years back, me and Yasmeen (our today’s guest) thought of a event which bought together recipes from bloggers which are simple and easy to make during iftar and seher time. In coming years, the event has gone a huge makeover and finally shaped up into a event where bloggers round the globe come and share their Ramadan Recipes and Memories. Over the period of time Yasmeen got busy and at a period of time she completely stayed away from blogging. Allhumdulliah, she is now back to the blog world and her blog ‘Health Nut‘ is loaded with many healthy and yummy recipes. As this going to be the last season of the event, Yasmeen took out time to send in her delicious Kofta Curry. Thank you Yasmeen for being part of this event and for the droolsome recipe.
Soft koftas in spicy yogurt gravy is a popular side dish in Hyderbadi Cuisine. To save time in Ramadan you can make the koftas in advance and freeze them and prepare the gravy fresh and serve. These taste great with either rice or paratha/roti.
- 1 pound(450 grams) boneless lamb or mutton
- 1/2 cup Chana Dal , soaked for 2-3 hours
- 3-4 cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 inch Ginger root sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon hot Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 cup of fresh Cilantro and mint , chopped
- 2-3 teaspoon of Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large or 2 medium Onion ,chopped
- 1/2 cup low fat Yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 inch fresh Ginger,minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon hot Chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
To make Kofta:
- Mix meat with all the ingredients in a pressure cooker
- Add a cup of water
- Pressure cook on medium heat for 20 minutes
- Uncover and cook further till all water is dry
- Blend the meat mixture in batches until comes together
- Make small golf ball size rounds from the meat mixture
- Heat a non-stick pan on low heat
- Dry roast the koftas few at a time
- Gradually add about a teaspoon of oil and roast until light brown on all sides
Prepare the curry:
- Saute onions in a teaspoon of oil until caramelized brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic,saute for a minute or two before adding rest of the spices.Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat ,slowly stir in the yogurt.cook on low heat for a minute.
- Puree the mixture in a blender while adding a 1 cup of water.
- Put the mixture back on heat and bring to a slow boil, drop the koftas.
- Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Serve warm with Whole grain Naan or pita or brown rice.
You can find Yasmeen @ Facebook.
Find more Ramadan Special recipes of this year @ Joy From Fasting To Feasting – X.