Jummah Mubarak. Ramadan is a time, where you spend less time on worldly things and spend more time on Godly things. At this time, cooking also takes a step back and you look out for easy and filling recipes to satisfy the tummies at home. Our today’s guest Shanaz of ‘Love to Cook‘ has shared with us delicious and filling Jalapeno & Cheese Stuffed Dinner Rolls. These are baked and less spicy (keeping the kids in mind), making these must try for dinner time during Ramadan. Do visit Shanaz’s blog for more interesting recipes like this. Thank you Shanaz for being part of this event and also for sharing yum dinner rolls recipe.
Assalam valaikum and Ramadan Mubarak to all the readers here. I am very thankful to Lubna for once again counting on me for her Ramadan Event ‘Joy from Fasting to Feasting’. But I was saddend when she announced that this is going to be the last event. I have been following all the events and themes on her blog, especially her posts on ‘Food Photography’ which has helped me improve my photography to a great extent.
I am Shanaz Rafiq, the blogger behind ‘Love to Cook’ and this is my 6th year in the Food Blogging world. I am originally from Mangalore, Karnataka but have been in gulf countries for most part of my life. And being in gulf country during this month is nothing less than a bliss.
Speaking about Ramadan, I have always made it a point to follow a healthy diet during this holy month so that it can be a cleansing and detoxification for us not only spiritually but physically as well. Even though I have many recipes on fried food, I only like to share the healthy recipes during this month.
The month of Ramadan is a sign from the Almighty to show us how we can practice self- control. The best self-control we can practice is by controlling the urge to have unhealthy food. But we find very few following this regime and majority of them like to opt of ‘deep fried and sugary’ food.
So here I come with a recipe of freshly baked homemade dinner rolls stuffed with jalapenos and cheese. I have also given a less spicy version of it for the kids with just cheese stuffed dinner rolls.
Jalapeno & Cheese Stuffed Dinner Rolls
- 10 fresh jalapenos cut in half and seeds removed
- 200 grams feta cheese (for stuffing)
- 200 grams cheddar cheese (for stuffing)
- 1 tablespoon nigella seeds
- 1/4 cup butter and garlic glaze
For dinner rolls
- 4 cups plain flour (a little more or less as needed)
- 1 and 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
For butter & garlic glaze (mix together)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dry herbs (oregano or basil or rosemary)
- Pinch of salt
To make dinner rolls:
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together warm water, yeast, and sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes till yeast turns frothy. Add melted butter, salt, and plain flour 1 cup at a time. If needed add a little more plain flour or reduce a bit. Keep mixing until the mixture leaves the sides of the bowl and forms into a very soft sticky dough. To make it easier to handle, add few spoons of flour but avoid adding too much. We need very soft dough.
- Let the dough rise in a greased bowl which is covered and kept in a warm place for 30 – 40 minutes. Once it rises to its double the size, gently punch it back and knead for few more seconds. Divide the dough into 20 – 25 equal size.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Line a 13-inch by 9-inch baking pan with butter paper or just grease it with oil or butter.
- Take a de-seeded and halved jalapeno and stuff a spoonful of feta cheese into it.
- Take a piece of divided dough and flatten it into a small square or rectangle. Wrap the stuffed jalapeno with the dough and repeat the step with rest of the dough parts. Place it on a baking tray, side by side. Cover with a cloth and set aside for them to rise for about 10 minutes.
For Cheese stuffed dough:
- Wrap the dough with grated cheddar cheese and form into a ball. Place it on a baking tray, side by side. Cover with a cloth and set aside for them to rise for about 10 minutes. With help of a brush or spoon, apply the butter garlic glaze over the rolls.
- You can make 10 rolls with jalapeno and 10 rolls with cheddar cheese (especially for kids who like it less spicy)
- Bake for 15 minutes or until they turn golden on top. Serve hot.
Find more Ramadan Special recipes of this year @ Joy From Fasting To Feasting – X.