Savory pies are my favorite and in today’s post Shazia of ‘From my Kitchen‘ is sharing with us yummy and creamy Chicken Half Moon Pies. These are perfect for ‘Iftar Potlucks/Parties’. Shazia hails from land of flavours, Thalassery, Kerala and since childhood she was interested in cooking by watching her mom, brewing magic in the kitchen. Shazia’s blog ‘From my Kitchen‘ is an insight into the Secret Diaries of a die-hard foodie. Do stop by her blog for more tempting recipe. Thank you Shazia for being part of this event and bringing in these creamy and delicious Half Moon Pies.
Ramadan Kareem to all the lovely people out there! I’m Shazia who blogs at From My Kitchen.
First of all I would like to thank Lubna for having me as a guest in her Ramadan Feast. I’m so excited and honoured, when she asked me to do a guest post! I’m only an amateur in the blogging world, trying to learn more and more from fellow bloggers like you! I really admire your blog and photography, and further to conduct such a grand Ramadan feast for as long as 9 years is not an easy task. I truly appreciate your dedication! I’m so happy to be a part of this lovely event –Joy from fasting to feasting!
The holy month brings such an amazing opportunity for the believers to obtain rewards and bounties from Allah. In this month, Allah opens the gates of Paradise and closes the gates of Hell, and chains up the devils, as stated in one of the popular hadeeth. This tie up high spirit to this holy month!
People love to try different variety of appetizers during Ramadan while breaking fast!So food plays an important role here! Always wish to skip and avoid fried goodies, but somehow it comes in our menu isn’t it? I always prefer savory more than sweet! Coming back to today’s recipe it is a fried snack which is filled with creamy chicken filling coated in bread crumbs! Its crispy from outside and soft pastry dough with yummilicious chicken filling in it! This will be a wonderful and tummy filling snack while breaking the fast. Kids and adults will surely love this alike. Hope you guys will give this a try.
Creamy Chicken Half Moon Pies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. milk powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp. butter
- Water for kneading
- 2 chicken breast fillets boiled with salt pepper and some soy sauce
- 2 medium onions
- 1 small tomato (opt)
- 1 small bell pepper
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. butter or olive oil
- 1 n 1/2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Hand full of chopped mushroom (opt)
- Some boiled sweet corn (opt)
- Lots of cilantro
- 1/2 tsp of Italian seasoning
- Other ingredients
- Egg to dip the pie
- bread crumbs
- Oil to deep fry
Mix together dry ingredients and then rub the butter with the flour.Now add enough water and knead it to a soft dough. Keep it aside
- Shred the boiled chicken and keep it aside,
- Heat a vessel and pour butter, add finely chopped garlic and sauté for few second.
- Add finely chopped onions and chilies cook until soft, now add finely chopped bell pepper and tomato cook for 3 minutes, until veggies are soft.
- Add mushrooms and mix well.
- Add the all-purpose flour and sauté for 1 minute.
- Now gently pour the milk stir it well to combine all. The filling will start to thicken,
- When you see it’s starts to thicken add the shredded chicken, pepper powder, crushed corn, cilantro and seasoning mix well.
- Make it to a thick creamy filling. Switch off the flame and add shredded cheese if you like to, mix well.
- Let it cool then we start to assemble the pies
- Divide the balls into four equal portions
- Now take a ball and roll it to a big circle.
- Cut this with a round cutter
- Place the filling half way through
- Apply some water on the edge and seal it well by pressing with your fingers
- Now you will get a half moon shape.
- Dip this in egg and coat it in bread crumbs
- Deep fry it until golden brown and crisp.
- Make sure your filling is not so runny
- Make sure the sides are sealed well.
- Do not over fill the pies.
- Serve it hot with your favorite dip.
Hope wonderful readers of Yummy Food will relish these creamy Chicken Half Moon Pies.
Find more Ramadan Special recipes of this year @ Joy From Fasting To Feasting – X.