Lot of people ask me to blog iftar snacks which can be made ahead to avoid being busy at iftar time. These chicken cutlet recipe by Thasneen of ‘Cooking with Thas‘ perfectly fit into that category. You make these patties ahead and can fry at iftar time. Thank you Thasneen for bringing on this recipe and also for being part of this Ramadan event Joy From Fasting To Feasting…
Wishing everyone a blessed Ramadan.
One of the appetizers that’s often made in my kitchen during Ramadan is Chicken cutlets. The best part is that the chicken-onion mixture can be made ahead of time, made into patties and stored in the refrigerator for a week. An hour before breaking the fast, just take it out of the refrigerator, thaw for a few minutes and fry them. You could either fry them or pan fry them in less oil. This makes a perfect appetizer to take for potluck Iftar parties.
For cooking Chicken
- 2 Chicken breasts, boneless
- 1½ tsp Chili powder
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. Coriander powder
- 1 tsp. Fennel powder
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
For cooking Cutlet Mix
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- 2 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- 2 Green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Garam masala
- Cooked-shredded chicken
- Cilantro chopped, handful
- Potatoes boiled and mashed – 2 (Cook in microwave or in boiling water)
- Salt-to taste
For Frying Cutlets
- 2 Eggs, beaten (use just egg whites or both)
- 1 cup Bread crumbs plain
- Oil, enough for frying
- Cook the potatoes in a microwave or in boiling water and let cook till tender.
- Peel the skin off and mash them using a fork.
- Combine the chicken with all the above mentioned ingredients “for cooking chicken” and cook covered in a saucepan.
- Cook until all the water evaporates and the chicken has cooked well. Stir fry the chicken till it turns light brown, you could add 1 tbsp of oil and stir fry.
- Shred the meat with a fork or coarsely blend it in a food processor. Don’t make into a paste.
- Place a large pan over medium heat, add oil.
- Add onions, season with salt and saute till translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, green chilies and garam masala, saute for a few minutes till onions turn light golden.
- Now add the cooked and shredded meat, combine well.
- Add the boiled, mashed potatoes and mix everything well.
- Have a taste, if you need more salt or seasonings you could add accordingly.
- Finally, add cilantro and give it a mix.
- Remove the pan from the heat, let the mixture cool down.
- Make medium sized balls out of this mixture, flatten it in between the palm of your hands, keep aside.
Frying the cutlets
- Beat the eggs using a fork or whisk.
- Spread the bread crumbs on a plate.
- Coat the cutlet patties first with beaten egg and then coat evenly with bread crumbs.
- Deep fry the cutlets in oil until golden brown or pan fry it.
- Serve warm along with Tomato ketchup or any of your favorite dipping sauce.
Find more Ramadan Special recipes of this year @ Joy From Fasting To Feasting – X.