With the begin of summer vacation, lil’M being at home, request for snacks begin….Kids love to have munch on snacks and with in-house doll parties, kids coming and going…I always make it a point to stock a jar of munching snacks for these little butterflies….Summer is not only all about kiddo’s vacation but also about IPL too…so made a huge jar of these ribbon pakoda or murukku along with other munch on snacks…to entertain friends over IPL. The he only guilt in making this recipe is…these goodies are deep fried…wink, wink….
Ribbon Pakoda/Ribbon Murukku
- 2 Cups Rice flour
- ½ cup Urad dal flour
- ½ cup Oats, dry roasted and powdered
- ½ tbsp. Ajwain/Carom seeds
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- 3 tbsp. hot Ghee/Butter/Oil
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Water for kneading
- In a bowl mix sift rice flour, urad dal flour and oats powder.
- Add ajwain, red chili powder, salt and hot ghee. Mix gently using your fingers until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Now slowly add water little by little and make stiff dough (the dough should be just soft enough to pass through the murukupresser).
- Heat enough oil in a kadai or in a wide and thick bottom vessel for deep frying muruku. Now take muruku maker/presser and use the long slits attachment/disc. Grease with little oil and fill little more than half of the murukka maker/presser with the above kneaded dough.
- Press gently to check whether the dough is coming out of the attachment properly or not. Once the dough is coming out from all the slits, reduce the flame and in gentle slow circular movements, press the murukku maker to form a circle in the oil.
- Increase the flame to medium heat and wait till muruku starts to change color. Flip again using a slotted ladle and fry till light golden. Make sure to cook evenly. Drain on kitchen tissue and leave it to cool.
- Repeat to complete the rest of the dough. Leave the murukku to room temperature. Once cool, store these ribbon pakoda/ribbon murukku in a clean and dry air tight container.
- Add love to make these ribbon pakoda taste ‘Yummy’.
Play with the discs available with the murukku maker/presser to get different shapes.