Years back when I was in Bangalore I use to make this Curried Tomato Soup very often. We use to have this comforting bowl of hot soup either in dinner or as a snack whenever the taste buds crave for something hot and spicy. As the weather in Bangalore demands, this soup use to make its appearance at least twice a week in our menu.
Seeing my husband ordering soup whenever we went for eating out, I thought of surprising him by making his favourite tomato soup at home. Though the soup tasted yum…it did not get that bright red color which we get in restaurant tomato soup. Then a friend told me to add a piece of beetroot piece to get that beautiful color of tomato soup and trick worked.
As the years passed, I have experimented a lot with this tomato soup and have come up with many variations like adding boiled pasta or grated paneer or golden fried paneer cubes or basil or boiled chickpeas…..but my favourite of all is Curried Tomato Soup. This soup has got the taste and flavour of charred tomatoes and bell peppers in it.
Since morning I was craving for this soup and so made it in lunch. As I had very hectic week, a warm bowl of soup was all I wanted to relish by reading a e-book which is soon becoming my obsession these days. I toasted some masala bread slices to go with soup for that full and comfort meal. So before going to stretch my leg, read my e-book by enjoying this hot, thick, creamy, spicy and yummy Curried Tomato Soup…let me give you the recipe….
Curried Tomato Soup
- 250 gms. Tomatoes, ripe and firm
- 1 red Bell Pepper
- 1 Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp. Olive oil
- ½ tbsp. Coriander powder
- ½ tbsp. roasted Cumin powder
- Salt, as per taste
- ½ tbsp. Black pepper powder
- ½ tbsp. Oregano
- 1 small piece of Beetroot
- 4 cups of Vegetable stock/water
- 1 tbsp. minced Coriander leaves
- 2 Mint leaves, for garnish
- 2 tbsp. Cream
- Wash the tomatoes and pat dry. Remove the stem ends and cut the tomatoes crosswise into thick slices.
- Cut the onion into half and cut the red bell pepper into half and remove the seeds. Cut into thick slices and place the tomato slices, halved onions and bell pepper slices on a griller by greasing it with little oil.
- Toss until the tomatoes, onions and red pepper slices are nicely charred. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Upon cooling scrape the charred skin of the slices and chop them.
- In a sauce pan, add olive oil and when it is warm dropped down chopped garlic, fry until they turn nice golden. Now add in chopped tomatoes, onions and bell peppers. Stir by adding coriander powder and cumin powder.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes by stirring until mushy. Now add in vegetable stock along with salt and pepper. Grate in beetroot piece and cook for 10-15 minutes or until thick.
- Stir in minced coriander leaves and oregano. Turn off the flame and serve hot by pouring the soup into desired soup bowls and garnishing with fresh mint leaves and cream.
- I served this curried tomato soup with toasted masala bread.
- Add love too make this soup taste ‘Yummy’.
If the soup turns more thick, add little stock or water to adjust the consistency.