Blessed are the mornings when you get a pleasant auto ride. Yesterday in lil’M’s school ‘Almanac’ her teacher has sent a note to bring a potted flowering plant. The nearby nursery was closed by the time I checked the note. When I told lil’M to carry any pot from our garden, she refused by saying ‘Mamma these plants are part of our family and they are my pets, I am not going to carry any one of these’. I was so touched by her thought. As the car was under servicing, the next morning I took her by auto. Lil’M was panicked seeing her classmates carrying pots. She started crying. Seeing her crying, the auto driver asked me, what’s the matter? lil’M told the auto driver that she needs a potted flowering plant today for her school garden workshop in her broken Tamil language. The auto driver took us to another not so far nursery and finding it closed in the early morning hours, gave a call to the owner by looking at the number on the shop board.
To lil’M’s luck the owner of the nursery stays just back side of the nursery and within 10 minutes he reached the place. He gave us the plants of our choice and lil’M being the younger and first customer of the day, he gave one extra free rose plant to her as a gift along with giving a good discount on rest of the plants. A happy kiddo donated all the plants in her school. The auto driver not only took us to the nursery, then to school, he even helped us in carrying the pots to lil’M’s class. The auto driver even charged reasonably for all the effort he took to bring smile on lil’M’s face. With a prayer for the auto driver’s family, I paid him and stepped out of the auto.
As my little darling had big day at school with lots of outdoor activity involved, I thought of pampering her with a warm bowl of comforting Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup. As this year, lil’M staying around 7 hours in school, after school snacks have become must in my menu. Though I always make muffins/cakes of her choice or fresh juice to treat her after school, this time I thought of making a soup. As lil’M is very fond of soups and I find it ultra-good way to add veggies in her diet.
Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup
- 150 gms. Chicken Pieces, boneless and skinless
- 100 gms. Sweetcorn (I used frozen ones)
- 1 small Carrot, peeled and diced small
- 2 tbsp. Oats
- 5 cups Chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- ½ tbsp. fresh ground Black peppercorns
- ½ cup Cream
- If you are using frozen sweetcorn thaw and set aside.
- Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces and in a heavy bottom cooking vessel, add butter. When the butter starts to warm add in chicken pieces. Saute until the chicken pieces start to change color. Add in chicken stock, salt and pepper.
- Cook covered until chicken pieces are tender. Using a spoon, try to shred the chicken pieces. Now add in sweetcorn, oats and diced carrot, cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in cornstarch and check for salt. On low flame, stir in the cream and turn off the flame.
- Serve warm by adding fresh ground pepper.
- Add love to make this chicken & sweetcorn soup taste ‘Yummy’.
You can even use fresh sweetcorn in the recipe. Just boil the corn on the cob and remove the kernels to add it to the soup.