I enjoy making poori’s with Lil’M…who loves to help me out by pressing small small poori’s. This protein high breakfast can also be packed in lunch box along with light fruit salad.
Kala Chana Curry/Black Chickpeas Curry
- 1 cup Kala Chana/Black Chickpeas
- 1 big Onion, sliced
- 1 big Tomato, sliced
- 1 Green chili, slit length wise
- 1 tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. Garam Masala
- ¾ tbsp. roasted Coriander powder
- ½ tbsp. roasted Cumin powder
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tbsp. minced Coriander leaves
- Thoroughly wash and soak kala chana in enough drinking water for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Next day morning, drain the water in which kala chana were getting soaked and add kala chana to a pressure cooker.
- Add enough water and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles or until they turn soft but not mushy.
- Once the pressure settles down, drain and collect the water and kala chana separately. From this take ¼ cup of kala chana and grind to smooth paste by adding little water.
- In the meantime, grind and make smooth paste of onion and tomato. Add oil to a heavy bottom cooking vessel and when it heats up add in onion-tomato paste along with ginger-garlic paste. Fry for a minute and add in
green chili, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder and cumin powder.
- Fry on medium flame by stirring continuously until the masala’s are nicely brown and oil starts to leave the sides.
- Add in boiled kala chana and stir to get well coated with masala. Now add in ground kala chana and combine well.
- Stir in ¾ cup of reserved water (step 4) and on medium flame leave this to cook for another 12-15 minutes by covering with a lid.
- Check for salt and sprinkle garam masala. Cook till it reaches desired consistency and turn off the flame by adding minced coriander leaves.
- Serve warm with poori/phulka/roti.
- Add love to make this curry taste ‘Yummy’.
- If you soak one cup of kala chana overnight, they will double in size and you get two cups of them. So adjust accordingly.
- You can even squeeze fresh lime juice of half lime before serving or you can add amchoor powder along with gram masala.