Though the rains stopped, it took 5-6 days to restore electricity and more days to get back mobile signals and all…Slowly when life started gearing back to normalcy…Lil’M asked me whether I can bake a cake for her….such a simple request…but without electricity how can I bake a cake….and that too most of the stored ingredients like butter, cheese, syrups, pickles, etc. got spoiled in the fridge which was on no electricity for days…
Grandma Style Stovetop Ghee Cake
- 1 ½ cups Maida/All purpose flour
- 4 Eggs
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Vanilla essence
- ¾ cup + 1 tbsp. Ghee, I used pure homemade ghee
- ¾ cup Milk, at room temperature
- ¾ tsp. Baking powder
- ¼ tbsp. Baking soda
- Grease the mold with table spoon of ghee and set aside. Add sand to the bottom plate (refer picture) and set this on stove on low flame.
- In the meantime take a bowl and sieve flour, baking powder and baking soda for 2-3 times and set aside. This is our dry ingredient mixture.
- In another bowl beat eggs until creamy and add vanilla essence along with milk. Beat for few more minutes. You can even use electrical beater or you can do the work in mixer jar.
- Now add ghee to this mixture and combine well. Make a well in the dry ingredients and very slowly fold in the wet ingredients until the cake batter looks like it is shown in the picture.
- Pour this into the pre greased wonder pot oven and tap gently to spread the mixture evenly. Cover with a lid and gently place this over the bottom plate (filled with sand) which we have already kept on the stove to pre heat.
- On the low flame, let the cake bake for at least 35-40 minutes. Start checking with a skewer after 30 minutes. If it runs clean then our cake is ready.
- If the skewer runs clean, turn off the flame and leave it to sit on hot stove for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the wonder pot from the stove and leave to cool for 10-15 minutes on the kitchen counter.
- Gently flip onto a plate and after 5-8 minutes, cut into pieces. Our wonder pot cake is ready to serve and indulge.
- Add love to make this cake taste ‘Yummy’.