Whenever most of us think about our diet during Ramadan the first thing that comes to mind is dates. It is widely known that dates are the Sunnah way of breaking the fast. However, there are many of us who forget that they are recommended for suhoor too in many ahadith. Dates are packed with dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals. They give an instant energy boost too. My family loves munching dates throughout the year, not just in Ramadan. I also like to incorporate them in smoothies and baked goods. This Date Cake recipe is one such recipe which I got from my sister in law. It has been popular in my family for quite some time.
- 18 large dates
- 1 cup milk
- 1 stick butter, softened and cut into small cubes.
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- De-seed and chop the dates. Soak them in lukewarm milk for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 330 degrees F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix all the ingredients (date mixture, flour mixture, eggs, butter, sugar, vanilla) and beat for 30 seconds on very low speed and then for 3 minutes on high speed if using a hand mixer and medium speed if using a stand mixer.
- Grease and line an 8 or 9 inch round pan with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Then carefully invert the cake and cool completely on wire rack.
Thank you Sadaf for being part of this ‘Global Ramadan Event – Joy For Fasting To Feasting-VIII’.
NOTE: You can find updated list of entries @ Joy From Fasting To Feasting – VIII.