Lime juice and Chilli-marinated Chicken Fajitas
- 500 g Chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 4 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. chilli powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 capsicum
- 1 red pepper
- 4 tbsp. coriander
- 4 tortilla wraps*
- Mayonnaise dip to serve
- Marinate the chicken in 1 tbsp. oil, lime juice, chilli powder, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper and chill for at-least 30 minutes or 2 hours if possible.
- Preheat the oven to 250 C and grill chicken for 2 to 3 minutes per side until cooked. Reserve the marinade. You can either shallow fry them on a pan.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan. Add the onion and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the peppers and the reserved marinade. Cook until the peppers are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add coriander.
- When ready to serve, assemble fajitas using lettuce, prepared peppers, mayonnaise dip, guacamole, cheese or sour cream etc.
*Note: Tortillas can be prepared like our Indian roti’s by substituting Masa Harina (ground corn meal) or All-purpose flour (Maida) for whole wheat flour. Dough can be made with 2 cups Maida, 2 tbsp. butter, a pinch of baking powder and salt. Roll and cook like roti’s.
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. tomato, finely chopped
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/3 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp. onion, minced
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of cumin
- Mix all these together and serve it along with the wraps.
Thank you Hasna for being part of this ‘Global Ramadan Event – Joy From Fasting To Feasting – VIII’.