2014 – Potato Stuffed Bread Rolls
If you ask me to pick one food which I love to eat out often….then that would be ‘Shawarma’. But I think now I may not look to eat this out…as my dear blog buddy Razina of ‘The Recipes of India‘ has come up with a easy recipe to make Shawarma at home….Try this indulging recipe for your Iftar party and get praised….
Ramadan Greetings to one and all! First of all I would like to thank Lubna Karim for inviting me once again to her Annual Ramadan Event – Joy From Fasting To Feasting which runs through the entire month of Holy Ramadan. Do know about me and the way fasting is observed at my place by visiting my post from last year here with the yummy and crunchy Potato Stuffed Bread Rolls.
This year, I thought to bring a Middle Eastern delicacy to your Iftar table. A very famous Roll originally from the Middle East, which is also now famous in India is the Shawarma Roll. If you happen to be in Bangalore, then do read my post on 10 Places to Relish the Best Shawarma in Bangalore. You get both chicken as well as mutton shawarma. Today, I’m sharing a recipe for a Chicken Shawarma Roll which you can easily prepare and enjoy for breaking your fast. Traditionally it is made using Shawarma machine. I’ve made it using a grill pan. I usually don’t wrap it in the roll form, instead mix the filling together and keep the khubz or pita bread slit open separately. For having it, you just have to put the filling inside the slit of the pita bread, roll it and enjoy!
For chicken marination:
- Chicken breast – 250 gms, cut into thin strips
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Yoghurt – 2 tbsp
- Egg – 1/2, beaten
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
Lettuce, tomato, carrot, cabbage, cucumber – as required, shredded
For making the chicken:
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned under marination and marinate the chicken for a minimum of 4 hours in the fridge (overnight marination preferred)
- Remove from fridge and keep it for 30 minutes to bring it to room temperature
- Heat a non stick pan or a grill pan and drizzle little oil over it
- Add the chicken along with the marinade and cook on high flame for 4-5 minutes. Do not stir
- Once the chicken becomes golden brown, flip over and cook the other side till it becomes golden in color
- In the end, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or till the chicken becomes tender
- Remove and keep aside.
- Yogurt – 2-3 tbsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
For making the Garlic Sauce:
Mix everything well and strain.
- In a bowl, add cooked chicken, garlic sauce and all the shredded ingredients and mix
- Take a warm pita bread, open it up and fill the chicken mixture and roll forward to make a roll
- Serve with Arabic pickle.
I prefer mixing and serving it during Ramadan, as it saves lots of time in making individual rolls.