After enjoying time to time meal without even bothering on what to cook at being at mom’s place….I am slowly catching the cooking routine. From the word routine, I want to tell you something….It’s not so easy to take life back to normal….as life doesn’t have a pause button with it…bringing things back to normal as it used to be ten months back, is not that easy…….
After a gap of ten or months I am getting chance to spend more time with Lil’M….the only mommy and daughter time…which I love the most…Tight hold of her hand on mine when there is a sudden power cut during evenings, more hugs with no reason, kisses when she was given something to play or eat, cuddles when I cook something of her choice, her cute little hands round my neck when tucking her to sleep…..more and more simple reasons that make my day more worth living…..
Lil’M talks a lot about her granny and her aunt….and she could not understand why we could not all stay together….she keeps on asking me…She is pretty small to understand the complicated relations build by social surroundings…..In her sweet questions sometimes I drift and think what will happen to me when she gets married and leave me…..awww…. I know you may be thinking that I have gone mad….or crazy or something like that….but……!!!!
Ush….Ush…Ush….coming back from the whirlpool of mommy life….Long back when I made Mutter Paneer Masala, it all fell on the ground when I was clicking pics of it for my blog…..After that I think I never made this again…though I made many paneer recipes, I rarely clicked the pics….maybe that’s why when I checked my kitchen flavours menu page today, they are only two paneer recipes….so I thought of making this Paneer Mutter Masala in a new way for you…… Lil’M likes ‘Paneer’ a lot, so I always make it a point to make a paneer recipe once a week….
- 250 gms. Paneer, cubed
- 1 cup Green Peas, I used frozen ones
- 1 Onion, chopped, boiled and puréed
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- ½ tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- ¼ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp. Cumin
- ½ tbsp. Garam Masala
- ½ tbsp. Coriander powder
- ¼ tbsp. Cumin powder
- ½ tbsp. Kasuri Methi/dry Fenugreek leaves, optional
- 1 tbsp. fresh minced Coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp. fresh Cream/Malai, optional
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- ½ tbsp. Salt
- ½ tbsp. Red chili powder
- Pinch of Turmeric
- Mix the ingredients listed under ‘For Paneer’ and make a smooth paste. Now add cubed paneer pieces and set aside for 15 minutes. (Prepare onion paste in the meantime, check recipe below)
- Shallow fry paneer pieces till light brown on both the sides and drop them into warm water until use. This process helps in keeping the paneer soft.
- Thaw the green peas. You can microwave them for 1-2 minutes, by turning up and down every 30 seconds.
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel add oil and when it heats up add cumin seeds. Once they start to splutter, add puréed onion paste. Fry on low for 2-3 minutes or until color starts to change.
- Now add tomato pieces and fry till tomato pieces turn soft. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute. Now add red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt.
- Fry on low till all the spices blend together. Now add green peas to this and gently coat them with masala. Add ½ cup of water or as required and leave it to cook for 2-3 minutes. Now add shallow fried paneer cubes. (Drain the water completely from paneer cubes before adding them) and kasuri methi *.
- Cook for another 10 minutes or until the gravy thickens to your desired consistency. Add fresh minced coriander leaves and turn of the flame.
- Serve hot by garnishing with fresh cream.
- Add love to make this recipe taste ‘Yummy’.
- Take a onion, chop roughly, add it to enough water and cook till onion slices turn soft. Drain excess water and leave it to cool. Grind until smooth paste and use as required.
- You can even store this in air tight container for 2-3 days. You can froze this for 3-4 moths.
I have used boiled onion paste in the recipe. You can skip this and add finely sliced onions after adding cumin in step.4. Wash and soak kasuri methi in lukewarm water for 10-15 minutes before using it in any recipe.