Summer is finally here….This is going to be my first summer in Chennai. Though I have not found the climate different from that of Andhra till date…I know the temperatures will raise more as the summer advances. I mostly go out during evenings, for my vegetable shopping. The good thing is I have got a fresh vegetable and fruit shop just few feet away from my house.
When I went to buy my regular vegetables from the shop, I found green mangoes, flooding over there. The mere sight of these made my taste buds ooze juices. I picked up some for my afternoon Kairi Dal (mango dal), which is my very favourite. When I came back and tasted mango before adding it to toordal to cook, it was sweeter more than sour…
The mango dal requires very sour green mango to get that sourness in it. So I thought of adding it to the chat, which I was thinking to make from long. Summer time means chat time to me. I don’t know why, but I love chats a lot especially during summers. When I was in Bangalore, I had chat shop very near to my house, where I use to go to indulge different chats at least twice a week.
But here, the thing is different. As I am staying very far from main city, finding all the ingredients needed for chat is difficult then forget about ready-made chats. So I thought of making a simple ‘Bhel Puri’ chat for me with the hint of seasons best fruit raw mango. Isn’t your mouth watering??? I know…
A jhatpat simple and yummy chat is perfect to entertain your friends or guest or for your indulgence on any summer evening…. Let’s start to make it; all you need is these simple ingredients…
- 2 cups Puffed rice
- 1 Onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup diced Raw Mango
- 3 tbsp. minced fresh springs Coriander leaves
- 2-3 tbsp. Peanuts, roasted
- 4-6 tbsp. Sev (I did not add it as I could not find it in near by shop)
- 2 tbsp. fried Moong Dal, optional
- 1½ tbsp. Red Chutney *
- 1 tbsp. Green Chutney *
- 1½ tbsp. Brown Chutney/Sweet Chutney *
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and red chili powder on diced raw mango and set aside.
- In a wide bowl, mix in sliced onions, sliced tomato, puffed rice, peanuts, red chutney, green chutney and brown chutney. Now add in above raw mango pieces and toss gently. Season with salt if required.
- Add fresh minced coriander, sev and fried moong dal. Toss and serve immediately.
- I could not resist anymore, so as soon as I completed my shoot, dragged a chair and polished of the bowl in no time.
- Add love to make this chat taste more ‘Yummy’.
- You can find the recipe for this chutney’s in Chatpati Bhel Puri recipe. I skipped lemon juice, as I was adding raw mango. You can add if you like more sourness in the chat.
- I added fried moong dal as I could not find sev. It has given nice crunch to the recipe soaking in flavours.
I took it to my friends….. we are bunch of mommies who come out during evenings and sit together for a small chit chat watching our kids, who all play together. I must tell you to my surprise the kids loved it and completed it in no time asking me for more servings…..Yeah will definitely going to make this again…..