It’s been a cold and cloudy morning with chill breeze. When I got up in the morning, I could not see the opposite apartment as it is covered with dense fog. I was not in a mood to enter kitchen to make piping hot breakfast….rather want to tuck down under the warm blanket and hug my darling Lil’M and sleep for some more time.
But I was feeling peckish at that early hour in the morning….may be because I had very early dinner last night….…so throwed my laziness and entered kitchen to make some piping hot food which is indulging and comforting…but not elaborate…All I could think of was soup…as I already told you about my love for comforting soups…I thought of making nutritious oats soup as it is very simple in making and can be made in no time…
I make this chicken and oats soup mostly in seher, during Ramadan fasting’s. This time I used curried chicken pieces, which were lying in the fridge from yesterday night’s dinner where I made chicken khorma to pair up with jeera rice.
By the time the soup was ready my darling little sister also got up and we two had our chairs in the balcony to sit and enjoy the magical winter morning....throwing ourselves in warm clothes and wrapping the fingers around the bowl of hot comforting soup and setting myself free to soak in the serenity of the surroundings…and planning for the day is something I call….’BLISS’.
- 100 gms. boneless and skinless Chicken breast, cut into cubes
- ½ cup Oats
- ¼ tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- ½ tbsp. Pepper powder
- 1 Carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1 Onion, finely sliced
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 Green Chili, chopped
- 1 Cardamom, 1 Clove, 1 1’inch stick Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. minced Coriander leaves
- 2-3 fresh Mint leaves
- 2 cup Chicken broth/Water/Vegetable Stock
- Pressure cook chicken pieces and carrot cubes with salt and pepper powder for 2-3 whistles or until chicken pieces are soft.
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel, add oil and to this add cardamom, cinnamon and clove.
- To this add finely sliced onion and fry till translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and green chilli and fry till tomatoes turn soft. Now add cooked chicken and carrot pieces. Mix well.
- Add chicken broth or water along with fresh minced coriander leaves and mint leaves. Bring this to boil by seasoning it with salt. Let it sit for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add oats to this and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until you get your desired soup consistency. I like my chicken & Oats Soup to be thick.
- Add love to make this soup taste 'Yummy'.
- The soup thickens as it turns cool. So remember to turn off when there is enough water in the soup.
- I will strain the coriander and mint leaves before adding oats to the soup.
- You can add sweet corn or baby corn to this soup.
- I sometimes use curried chicken to make this soup. I shred the chicken pieces before adding it to the broth. This gives amazing taste to the soup.