My dad was huge fan of sweets and he is the one who use to bring lot new varieties of sweets to home. Whenever he is back from his tour, he use to get a specialty sweet of the place and he use to insist us to try it out…I am not a sweet loving person….I am bit choosy when it comes to eating sweets….not a very big fan of milk based sweets…I try to avoid them to the maximum extent I can…..but to keep my dad’s words I use to try every sweet he use to get…One day when I was back home from school, I saw my dad is back from his short tour and he bought Rasmalai with him. That was for the first time I tasted it out….
Seeing it to be milk based sweet, I thought of running away…but hearing my dad’s verdict on that sweet…I thought of giving it a try….it was chilled when I touched the bowl, it was creamy to look and it just melted in my mouth….I took another bite soon….it just melted in my mouth again…I loved it….the chopped almonds and pistachios coming in between gave the crunch, the sweet creamy milk based syrup made a perfect combo to the spongy rasmalai….as to the name it was really full of ‘ras’…juicy and malai means ‘creamy’……I must say it is still my favourite sweet….I never forget to buy some whenever I am at sweet shop…..
Over the years, I learnt to make many things and this many things include lots of sweet recipes as my dear husband is also a sweet lover…he just adores sweets…so is my MIL….hmmm….let me say whole In-law family are sweet lovers…Take a box of 1kg. sweets, they will vanish within a hour….such is the love for sweets….To serve them new every time, I learnt to make many new sweet recipes in the due course of time…Whenever my dear husband comes from Chennai, he makes it a point to carry a can of Haldiram’s Rasgulla with him….When I asked him once, he said it is easy to carry in train and no tension of leaking out the syrup…the only sweet he feels comfortable to carry with him on a long distance travel….
I hardly have 1-2 from the can, others sit in the fridge or I will send them to my friends or neighbours before opening the can….But one day I came across Instant Rasmalai recipe which used ready-made Rasgullas…..I tried it instantly as I already had a can of rasgulla in fridge…I served it after dinner to my husband as he is like ‘wow’…they taste just like the store bought ones….From that time I use to make it for my guest most of the times…Now when it was Teacher’s Day celebrations at Lil’M’s school I thought of sending down something sweet to the teachers at school….
In the process I thought of making this Instant Rasmalai as it is dam hot here and a chilled dessert like this will be wonderful when served after lunch at school….I gave the recipe yet another twist and made it simpler by adding Instant Badam Drink Mix….which gives the creamy base of the rasmalai a thick, creamy and nutty flavour which is was indulging….Just with 4 simple ingredients and 5 simple steps you can make creamy, soft, melt in mouth, luscious Rasmalai….Try this out and you will forget about buying these from sweet shop…. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to the readers of this blog celebrating this festival....
- 12 Rasgullas, I used canned Haldiram’s Rasgullas
- ½ can Milkmaid, I used Nestle 400gms. Tin
- ½ lit. Full fat Milk +2 tbsp. Milk
- 6 heaped tbsp. Badam Drink Mix, I used MTR brand
- Mix Badam Drink Mix with 2 table spoons of milk and make a thick paste. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel, mix milk and milkmaid, bring it boil on low flame.
- In the meantime, gently squeeze rasgullas to remove extra syrup. Be careful, squeeze gently or you can use lemon squeezer to do the job. Set aside.
- When the milk and milkmaid mixture come to boil, gently give it a stir and add above made paste of Badam Drink Mix and milk. Stir gently. Let the mixture sit on low flame for 3-4 minutes. Stir in between.
- Drop in sugar syrup drained rasgullas into the above mixture and leave the cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the flame. Leave to cool.
- Once cool enough transfer it to refrigerator for 5-6 hours. Your creamy, soft and luscious rasmali is ready to serve.
- Serve garnishing with saffron strands and chopped nuts.
- Add love to make this recipe taste 'YUMMY'.
- You can check in for sugar in step 4 and adjust according to your taste. But remember, the badam drink has already got sugar in it.
- In case you can’t find out Instant Badam Drink Mix, then you can add ½ tbsp. Green Cardamom powder in step 4 along with saffron strands and chopped pistachios and almonds.