Ramadan is always become a special days for me – I’ve been practice doing fasting since I was 6 years with 2 other sisters in our household, we always exciting to see what our mom put on the table for iftaar ; yes – iftaar was a happy moment while everybody in our family can sit together enjoy the meal after a long fasting day. Some time I miss that moment, being away from family is not always easy, I miss my mom and home-cooked food a lot. Now I have my own family – here – a thousand miles from my hometown ; with my little family I try to bring our (me+my husband) traditions into our life. Indonesian from my side and Persian from my husband’s side . Introducing almost every side of our culture to my little one.
Ketan Serundeng Ikan – Glutinous Rice Cake with Shredded Fish Topping
- 500gr glutinous rice , rinsed well, soaked into the warm water for 1 hours, drained
- 250ml lite coconut milk
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 300 gm red snapper fillet or tuna or tilapia ; steam for about 10 minutes ; shreded when is cold enough to handle
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp sugar
- 2 Lime Leaves
- 3 medium garlic
- 2 red bird pepper / 2 tbsp sambel oelek
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 5 shallot
- Steam the glutinous rice for about 10 minutes
- Meanwhile In medium pot, boiled coconut oil, turmeric powder, salt – stir very well. Than, add into the rice, mix together, add lime juice. Steam it again until cooked through about 15 more minutes.
- Fish Topping : in medium wok, saute the spices , bay leaves, lime leaves with vegetable oil until translucent, than add shreded fish , stir ; add sugar and salt. Cooked until the mixture become dry.
- Serve the cake rice with fish topping. Enjoy.