Ramadan is always very special time of the year, fasting always makes me crave various foods and when I get home from work, I rush into the kitchen to begin cooking. I cook, I clean and I set the table for for iftar and iftar is always welcomed with a big relief and rewarded well. Another important meal is sahur, yes waking up in the middle of the night is not pleasant but it plays a huge roll in keeping our energy level high and balanced through out the day.
One of my favorite foods to prepare for sahur, is eggs in various ways. Since its summer and tomatoes are in abundance, I thought I’d share a great summer skillet eggs in tomato sauce.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions diced small
- 4 large tomatoes diced small
- salt for taste
- black pepper for taste
- 4-5 basil leaves
- 6 large eggs
- grated kashaval for garnish
- Heat oil in large skilled for medium heat. Add in diced onions season with salt and saute until soft.
- Remove the skins from the tomatoes. Cut into cubes, add into the onion, season with salt. Saute and cook until tomatoes are soft and have a loose sauce. 15-20 minutes.
- With the back of a wooden spoon, make a well into tomato sauce and crack 1 egg into well. Repeat process with remaining 5 eggs. Arrange the basil’s on top.Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook until whites are set and yolks are cooked.
- Top with a sprinkle of cheese and serve with sauce immediately from the skillet.