Roasted chicken is one of the comfort food I love to go with, not only in Ramadan, but also in my regular busy days. Whether I’m looking for delicious and nutritious food to feed my family or something elegant and understated to serve at a friends gathering. It’s easy to make and quick to prepare. Serve it with another side, mainly vegetables, you’ll have a satisfying complete meal.
Oregano & Cardamom Roasted Chicken
- 2 small chicken, 1 pound each
- About 15 whole cardamom pod
- 3 large cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoon fresh oregano, or dried
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice, ground
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound the cardamoms to loosen the husk. Remove these and continue to pound the seeds to bruise them and release their flavor. Add the roughly chopped garlic, salt, and chopped oregano leaves. Pound for a few minutes, mixing all the ingredients together well. Then add 3 tablespoon of olive oil and stir in well. Continue crushing until you have thick, smooth paste.
- Season the chicken with salt all spices first make sure to rub in every part, then rub three- quarter of the paste over the chicken, ensuring that you get in all the little cracks and crevices. Mix the remaining paste with the remaining olive oil and then pour over the chicken. Cover and marinade the chicken for 4 – 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven at 400 f. Place the chicken in an oven pan and season with crushed black pepper. Cook the chicken in the oven for about an hour, until the birds are golden all over. Toward the end of cooking, brush the birds all over with the remaining marinade.
- Serve with braised fava, artichoke, and peas (recipe follow), and a side dish of cracked wheat pilaf (which I will post next in my blog).
Fava Beans, Artichokes, and Peas Braise
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cup frozen fava beans
- 1/2 onion sliced in quarters
- 1/2 cup marinated quartered artichokes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mashed garlic
- 1 cup thinly sliced Roma tomato
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice ground
- In pot, add the peas, fava beans, and sliced onion. Fill to cover with hot boiled water, boil for 10 minutes on medium heat, then drain and refresh in cold water.
- In a pan, add oil and slightly sauté the garlic. Add the sliced tomato and mix with garlic. Add fava beans, peas and onion, moving them gently around the oil. Finally add the marinated artichokes, season with salt and pepper, add the spice, cook for 1 min.