After a 16 hour fast, the iftar meal needs to be well planned if you don’t want to end up with a stomach ache. My family usually starts the iftar with some dates . They are easy to digest. They help ease the stomach into receiving the meal that is coming.Their sugar content helps raise the blood sugar levels that drop during fasting long hours. They are also rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber.The next item on the menu is always salad and soup . In the same spirit as dates. You need something that is easy to digest and rich in nutrients.
CREAMY SPINACH SOUP
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 cups (10 oz) (284 g) fresh spinach or 1 (10 oz)package frozen (see notes)
- 4 cups water or chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 100 ml double cream
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté onion in butter or olive oil for 3-5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook for 5 minutes longer until spinach is welted.
- Add the water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil then lower to a simmer for 10- 15 minutes.
- Purée the soup mixture in a blender, food processor or using an immersion blender. Return to saucepan. Whisk in the double cream.
- Simmer for 5- 10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend, adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice, a drizzle of pomegranate molasses or a dollop of sour cream.