there! I’m delighted to take part in this wonderful venture of
Lubna’s “Joy from fasting to feasting”,
bringing to you our favorite Ramadan recipes. Thank you Lubna for inviting me
to a part of this event.
in a lot spiritual activities. Though food should not be the center of
attraction it’s used as a means of bonding with friends and family. All our
favorite foods are prepared and shared with family. When I was growing up,
there was freshly made snacks and porridge for iftar every day. One of our family favorite is patties. A pocket
of buttery short crust dough filled with meat or fish filling and deep fried. Over the years, I changed the recipe to suit
my needs. Instead of making individual patties I made it into a big pie. Baked
it instead of frying. The result was a melt in your mouth buttery dough with a
smooth filling inside. The pie has become my kids and husband’s favorite now. This Ramadan I’m sharing our favorite Iftar
meal,the Chicken and Veggie Pie.
CHICKEN and VEGGIE PIE RECIPE:
- 1 chicken breast, cut into pieces
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp black
- 1 piece of
- 1 tsp salt
- Boil all of the
above ingredients together. When the chicken is boiled, take the stock separately
,strain and keep it aside.
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp ginger
- 1 small
- 1 carrot,chopped
- 1 small potato
- 1 capsicum
- Few button
- 1/4tsp curry
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ½ tsp
- 300g flour
- 100g unsalted
- 1 tsp salt
- Ice water
- For the dough; mix the flour, butter and
the salt together until it’s crumbly.
- Add chilled water little by little, using
your fingers to knead the dough well.
- When the dough is formed, wrap in cellophane
and refrigerate until you make the filling.
- For the filling; heat oil in a pan and add
the ginger garlic paste. Then add the chopped carrots, capsicum, potatoes, mushroom, tomatoes, curry powder, salt and pepper and
sauté till the vegetables are mixed and coated with oil and spices.
- Pour the chicken stock in, cover and let it
cook on medium heat till the vegetables are almost done.
- Tip in the chicken pieces,adjust seasoning
and pour in the cornflour mixed with a bit of water.
- When the mixture becomes a bit thick,take
off from fire and let it cool.
- Take the cooled dough, divide into two
pieces, and roll each piece into a circle, an inch or two more than the size of
your pie pan.
- Lay one layer of dough on the bottom of the
pie pan, smooth the filling on top distributing it evenly to all sides, then
lay the next layer of dough on top of the filling, pinching together the extra
bit of dough on the top and bottom layers,sealing the filling inside.
- Make holes with a fork on the top layer and
give it an egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven, 200 degrees for 20
- Let the pie cool, then cut into pieces.