Hello there! I’m delighted to take part in this wonderful venture of Lubna’s “Joy from fasting to feasting”, bringing to you our favorite Ramadan recipes. Thank you Lubna for inviting me to a part of this event. Ramadan is a blessed month and we partake in a lot spiritual activities. Though food should not be the center of attraction it’s used as a means of bonding with friends and family. All our favorite foods are prepared and shared with family. When I was growing up, there was freshly made snacks and porridge for iftar every day. One of our family favorite is patties. A pocket of buttery short crust dough filled with meat or fish filling and deep fried. Over the years, I changed the recipe to suit my needs. Instead of making individual patties I made it into a big pie. Baked it instead of frying. The result was a melt in your mouth buttery dough with a smooth filling inside. The pie has become my kids and husband’s favorite now. This Ramadan I’m sharing our favorite Iftar meal,the Chicken and Veggie Pie.
- 1 chicken breast, cut into pieces
- 1 cup water
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 piece of cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
Boil all of the above ingredients together. When the chicken is boiled, take the stock separately, strain and keep it aside.
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 small tomato,chopped
- 1 carrot,chopped
- 1 small potato chopped
- 1 capsicum chopped
- Few button mushrooms chopped
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tsp cornflour
- 300g flour
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Ice water
- For the dough; mix the flour, butter and the salt together until it’s crumbly.
- Add chilled water little by little, using your fingers to knead the dough well. When the dough is formed, wrap in cellophane and refrigerate until you make the filling.
- For the filling; heat oil in a pan and add the ginger garlic paste. Then add the chopped carrots, capsicum, potatoes, mushroom, tomatoes, curry powder, salt and pepper and sauté till the vegetables are mixed and coated with oil and spices.
- Pour the chicken stock in, cover and let it cook on medium heat till the vegetables are almost done.
- Tip in the chicken pieces,adjust seasoning and pour in the cornflour mixed with a bit of water.
- When the mixture becomes a bit thick, take off from fire and let it cool.
- Take the cooled dough, divide into two pieces, and roll each piece into a circle, an inch or two more than the size of your pie pan.
- Lay one layer of dough on the bottom of the pie pan, smooth the filling on top distributing it evenly to all sides, then lay the next layer of dough on top of the filling, pinching together the extra bit of dough on the top and bottom layers,sealing the filling inside.
- Make holes with a fork on the top layer and give it an egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven, 200 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Let the pie cool, then cut into pieces.