It was one of those summer afternoons, where everyone at home is taking a short afternoon nap….After rolling on bed for some time….I thought I will go and check what’s there on TV….as we just got cable TV connection at home that summer….I tip toed to TV room and started surfing the channels by muting the volume…..I stopped changing the channel when I saw beautiful and gorgeous Julia Roberts arguing with someone at a branded dress store….I glued to TV watching her….slowly in the frame was Richard Gere…..Damm man who is going to change the channel now…..just increased little volume…..so that I don’t wake anyone….and started watching the movie…..In the movie there was a scene where Richard Gere offers Julia Roberts a bowl full of fresh strawberries….topped with cream…..that was my first introduction to strawberries…..
Being botany student, I have read about strawberries….but never seen them until then….when I saw them for the first in the movie….where Julia Roberts gulp them with so passion…At that moment lost in that scene I thought wish I get to taste these juicy blushing beauties…..But being in a place where strawberries are just read in books and seen in pictures…..I never had got a chance to devour these…..But my dream came through when I came to Bangalore…..When I was roaming around in one of the malls in Bangalore, I came across the stack of fresh strawberries…neatly plucked and packed…..Within no time…I picked up a packet….and after coming home….I hulled them and relished just like that….the first one I had was sour in taste…the next was little sour and little sweet…..khatta meetha type….then I had another which was sweet enough…..I loved it….so my fondness for strawberries started like that…..Over a period of time….I had relished strawberries in many different ways….and when these blushing beauties are in season I make it a point to try out as many recipes as possible….apart from eating them raw…..
Today’s recipe with strawberries is one of the simple recipe to beat the heat outside…..It has got chilled milk, fresh berries and yum ice cream…..All you need to do is to whip up everything and you get a juicy milkshake which is pink, thick and creamy…..Perfect for the festive season too…..Wishing you all a HAPPY HOLI…….
- 10-12 fresh Strawberries
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Vanilla essence
- 1½ chilled, skimmed Milk
- 1 cup good quality Strawberry ice cream
- Wash strawberries thoroughly under running water and reserve two perfectly shaped ones for garnishing.
- Cut off the tops of rest of the strawberries and chop. Put the chopped strawberries in a bowl, sprinkle over the sugar and vanilla essence. Ideally pop these in the fridge for an hour covering with a cling.
- Add these to a blender along with the juice released. Pulse and add milk. Blend till no chunks are left. Add ice cream and blend until smooth. Add more milk if you feel the mixture is more thick.
- Serve in tall glasses garnishing with reserved strawberries.
- Last but not least add your ‘love’ to make the shake YUMMY.
- If Strawberry ice cream is not available then you can also use good quality Vanilla ice cream too.
- You can add banana to the above recipe to make Banana-Strawberry Milkshake.
- You can add spoonful of Nutella to the above recipe to make Nutella-Strawberry Milkshake.
- You can even add a dash of Orange juice to the above recipe to get twist to taste in the recipe.
- You can even top the recipe with whipping cream to make it look ‘wow’.