Punjabi Lobia Masala
- 1 cup Lobia
- 1 Onion, finely sliced
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Ginger juliennes
- 1 Green Chilli, slit length wise
- ½ tbsp. Garam Masala
- 3 Cloves
- 1 1’inch stick Cinnamon
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ tbsp. Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- ½ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. Coriander powder
- ½ tbsp. Cumin powder
- ½ cup Milk
- 2-3 tbsp. fresh minced Coriander leaves
- Wash and soak lobia overnight or for at least 6-7 hours. Drain the water and set aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add oil, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. When the spices start to release the aroma, add cumin seeds. When these start to splutter, add ginger juliennes and fry for 30 seconds.
- Now add sliced onions and fry till translucent. Next add finely chopped tomatoes and green chilli. Fry till tomatoes turn soft and mushy. Now add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, coriander powder and cumin powder. Fry for another one minute by giving the mixture nice stir.
- Now add drained lobia and mix well. Add 1½ glass of water and salt. Pressure cook of 4-5 whistles. Turn off and let the steam escape and then take off the lid and check whether the lobia is soft or not (When pressed with fingers it should be soft and should get easily mashed).
- Now add milk and check for salt. Cook on low flame for another minute by giving the mixture gentle stir. Turn off the flame and add fresh minced coriander on top.
- Serve hot with dollop of fresh cream and lemon wedges as an accomplishment with roti/phulka/naan.
- Last but not least add your ‘love’ to make the dish ‘YUMMY’.
- Soaking lobia for 6-8 hours reduces the time of cooking.
- You can even add fresh cream or white butter to enhance the flavour.
Have you checked the new header of my blog, after a long time I have done something bright and it is looking more bright to me….your comments on this are more welcome….