As it was my first ‘New Year’ after marriage I was pretty much exited about it…though we were in travel, I bought a Rose and a gift for my dear husband…Slowly but steadily bus started heading towards the destination crossing the fields, houses, lakes, dhaba’s and rocky mountains….I rarely sleep in the bus, as I love watching outside, though it may be night….When bus lights are turned off and when I looked outside, I can see star light sky with a beautiful moon shining and saying….I am travelling with you dear…..
I got completely soaked up in the surroundings; I forgot the time….then with a sudden jerk, the bus driver parked the bus on the side of the road, very near to a street light pole….in the far I can see a dhaba with decorative and colorful lights….Everyone were wondering what happened, someone in the back said….tyre puncture and some one said may be driver needs to attend a nature call…..but to everyone’s surprise….
Driver along with co-driver and cleaner took out a big cover with a big white color box….then the driver slowly took out a big cake with two pink colored cream roses on it…Happy New Year was written on it….Then the driver took out a candle, lit it and asked everyone in the bus to blow it….everyone got up from there place and cheered when the driver took the charge to cut the cake…..everyone in a chorus clapping hands shouted ‘Happy New Year’……
- 1 tin Sweet Corn Kernels
- 1¼ cup Milk
- ½ cup Sugar
- ¼ tbsp. Cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp. Ghee
- FOR GARNISH:
- few strands of Saffron
- 1 tbsp. silvered Almonds/ Almond flakes
- Drain the water from sweet corn kernels and pulse them in a mixer for 3-4 seconds. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl add ghee and above ground sweet corn kernels. Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Now add milk and microwave on high for 4 minutes, stirring for every one minute.
- Now add sugar and microwave for another 3-4 minutes, stirring for every one minute.
- Now add cardamom powder and mix well. Microwave for another 1 minute.
- Garnish with silvered almonds and strands of saffron.
- If you are using fresh sweet corn then you can easily grate the corn. This recipe tastes best when made with fresh sweet corn.
- Just remember, don’t puree the sweet corn kernels. The mixture should be coarse.
- Microwave timing differs from company to capacity. So keep a eye on the recipe when making it for the fist time.
- If making on stove, then take a heavy bottom cooking vessel and add ghee. When ghee heats up add grated sweet corn kernels mixture. Cook and stir till the mixture turns light brown. This may take nearly 10-12 minutes. Cook on low flame and keep stirring to avoid burning of the mixture.
- Now slowly add milk by stirring continuously. Cook till milk evaporates. Now add cardamom powder and sugar. Mix well and cook till everything comes together.
- Serve hot by garnishing with almond flakes and saffron strands.