As we all know oats which are available in specialty food store are best in lessening the bad cholesterol from the body whereas cumin/jeera helps in solving the indigestion/constipation problems and coriander leaves adds nice taste to the lassi whereas dry rose petals give an soothing look to the lassi. So here is a simple recipe to boost up your energy levels and keep you rocking during the fasts….moreover it is easy to make too…..so try this to beat the heat and to keep yourself hydrated.
- ½ cup thick Curd/Yogurt
- 1½ cup chilled Water
- 2 tbsp. Quaker Oats, lightly roasted and powdered
- ½ tbsp. Jeera/Cumin, freshly roasted and grounded
- 2-3 tbsp. fresh minced coriander, slightly pressed with hand
- ½ tbsp. dry Rose petals, optional
- Whisk curd to avoid lumps and add in oats powder. Whisk again and add chilled water and salt. Whisk well.
- Serve chilled by adding fresh jeera powder, coriander leaves and rose petals.
- Last but not least add your ‘love’ to make the dish ‘YUMMY’.
I always dry roast oats and make fine powder of oats and store in an air tight container. I use spoonful’s of oats powder to thicken up some soups, in roti making or in Idli or dosa batter or even in veg kebab’s. It is wlays handy when stored like that. You can play around with flavours on making out this lassi. I sometimes add tbsp. of fresh lemon juice to add that zing to the lassi.
Lassi is a versatile recipe and you can try upon so many varieties in it…to name a few, you can try upon fruit flavored lassi’s like mango, banana, strawberry, lemon etc. You can make sweet lassi’s by adding sugar or honey. You can even make tempered lassi or even flavor it by adding ginger etc. In some places fresh thick cream/malai is added on top of lassi before serving.