Allhumdulliah as the fasts continue, it is bit difficult to choose quick and healthy recipes for Iftar all the time. Iftar (Arabic: إفطار), refers to the evening meal when we break the fast during the holy month of Ramadan. Dates are the first to consume. Depending on the country and their relative traditions the recipes for Iftar vary. People of Hyderabad, India relish on much popular Haleem as it is perfect to boost the energy levels and filling too.. Festivals, fasts, celebrations, events,….will come to life when we are staying with whole family. It’s always boring to think what to cook for only two people and that to when one has to go office and other has to stay back. Times like that a simple salad with a healthy touch is quite filling and satisfying.
Kala chana/Black chickpea are rich with Vitamin A, B1 and B3 and has small amount of thiamine, riboflavin, niacin and Vitamin C in it. They also carry potassium, phosphorus, iron and calcium with good amount of sodium with them. So a cup of these to go with fresh, juicy red pomegranate seeds, carried by green chilli which gives spicy taste along with juicy red tomatoes, crunchy onions, lemon giving that tangy taste with fresh coriander leaves making it healthy, tasty and indulging……..
Healthy Chickpea Salad
- 1 cup Black chickpeas/Kala chana, soaked and boiled until soft
- 1 Onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 Tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ Cucumber/kheera
- 1 Green chili, deseeded and finely chopped
- 6-7 tbsp fresh Pomegranate seeds
- 3 tbsp fresh Lime juice
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped Coriander leaves
- 1/2 tbsp. Chat Masala, optional
- Add all the ingredients in a bowl and toss. Serve immediately.
- Add love to make this Healthy Chickpea Salad taste ‘Yummy’.
NOTE: I soaked kala chana overnight and pressure cooked until soft.