Bhendi/Bhindi/Okra/Lady’s Fingers/Bendakaya is a world wide versatile vegetable. Besides being low in calories it comes plenty with vitaminA, B6 and C along with folic acid, riboflavin, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, copper, zinc and dietary fiber. It helps reabsorb water and traps excess cholesterol, metabolic toxins and surplus bile in its mucilage and slips it out through the stool. Due to greater percentage of water in the bulk it thereby prevents constipation, gas and bloating in the abdomen. You can read more about nutritious okra by clicking here. Bhendi is one my favourite vegetable. Soft, velvet-textured green skin with tiny white colored pods neatly arranged in rows makes a tempting appearance. This is one of the very simple bhendi fry which I like to make often. Hot bowl of rice with khatti dal are much liked side entremets with this bhendi fry.
Simple Bhendi Fry
- 1/4 Kg Bhendi
- 1 medium size Onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tbsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Chana dal/split Chickpeas
- 1 dry Red chilli
- 6-9 fresh Curry leaves
- Wash bhendi throughly and pat it dry with kitchen tissue/towel. Slice them into roundels.
- To a heavy bottom cooking vessel add oil and to this add the ingredients listed under tempering one by one. When the tempering starts to change color add bhendi roundels, sliced onions, salt,red chilli power and tumeric powder. Stir lightly.
- Cook covered for 2-3 minutes and after that fry without lid till bhendi gets completely cooked.
- Serve with hot bowl of rice and khatti dal.
- Last but not least add your ‘love’ to make the dish ‘YUMMY’.