This Sambar is going to participate in My Legume Love Affair - Ninth Helping hosted by Laurie of Mediterranean Cooking In Alaska. This nutritious event is started by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook. This sambar is also going to participate in FIL-Tomato by Sanghi of Sanghi's Food Delights! and also to Lentils Mela by Ashwini of Ashwini's Spicy Cuisine.
- 1 cup Tuvar Dal/Red gram/ Kandi pappu
- 2 Tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 5-6 Shallots/baby Onions, peeled
- 2 Green chillis, slit length-wise and deseeded
- 3 tbsp Tamarind extract *
- 2 tbsp Sambar powder *
- 1 tbsp fresh Coconut pieces
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 6-9 Curry leaves
- 1 dry Red chilli
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/Hing/Inguva
- Wash and pressure cook toovar dal with a drop of oil. When dal gets cooked mash with wooden smasher and set aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai or heavy bottom vessel and add the ingredients listed under 'tempering' one by one. Once they change color add chopped tomatoes, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, green chillis.
- Cook till tomatoes are soft and add tamarind extract. Now add shallots, cover and cook till they are soft. Now add mashed dal, sambar powder, coconut pieces and water. Cook till you get the desired consistency.
- Last but not least add your 'love' to make the dish 'YUMMY'.
NOTE: Wash and soak lemon sized tamarind ball in luke warm water to get extract. I used MTR brand Sambar powder.