Fish meat is a good source of protein and doesn’t have the high saturated fat that fatty meat products contain in them. Fish meat is a low calorie and perfect diet food. Fish meat, is rich with Omega 3 fatty acids, which are heart-friendly. Today I am going to share with you a simple and spicy fish recipe from my state Andhra. My mom shallow fries the fish and my mom-in-law deep fries the fish. Sometimes I shallow fry some pieces and deep fry some. It is up to you how you want to fry the fish. Both the fries taste the same in the end. Fish fry can be stored for 2-3 days. Andhra Chepala Vepudu is a spicy fish fry recipe and is mostly served as side dish along with sambar or khatti dal….
Andhra Style Spicy Fish Fry
- 6-9 Fish pieces, cleaned and washed *
- 2 Green chilies, deseeded
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1/2 tbsp Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 2-3 springs fresh Coriander leaves
- 6-9 Mint leaves
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Grind and make a fine paste of onion slices, green chillies, coriander and mint leaves. Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder and ginger-garlic paste to the above grind paste and mix well.
- Now coat the fish pieces with this paste and leave for marination in the fridge for one hour.
- Heat oil in a kadai or heavy bottom vessel and deep fry the mainated fish pieces.
- Take out on a kitchen tissue to get that excess oil soaked up.
- Garnish with mint leaves and lemon wedges.
- Last but not least add your ‘love’ to make the dish ‘YUMMY’.
* NOTE: I always scrub the fish pieces using sea salt and then wash them under slow running water.