Potato is one of my favourite vegetable as it can be used in combination with many vegetables or even tastes good with meat. The potato is not native to India. Potato tuber also contains a number of B-group vitamins and high quality dietary fibre. The potato produces more edible protein per hectare per day (about 3 kg) than rice and wheat. And most importantly, the biological value of potato protein is about 71 % that of whole egg, a figure much better than that of wheat, maize, peas and beans and even comparable to milk. Potato tuber is rich vitamin C as compared to other vegetables like carrot, onions and pumpkins. With so many healthy facts potatoes are easily digested and wholesome food. Here is a very simple recipe using potatoes,
- 1/2 kg Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tbsp Tumeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp Jeera
- 1 tbsp Chana dal
- 6-9 Curry leaves
- 1 dry Red Chilli
- 3-4 fresh Garlic cloves, mashed with hand
- Boil the potato pieces. Drain off the excess water and set aside.
- In a pan, add oil, when the oil gets heated up add all the ingredients listed under ‘tempering’.
- When these ingredients turn to change color add boiled potato pieces along with salt, red chilli powder and tumeric powder.
- Stir lightly and cover with a lid and cook for 3-5 minutes on a very low flame.
- Last but not least add your ‘love’ to make the dish ‘YUMMY’.