Potato is one of my favorite vegetable and can easily be cooked in combo with any vegetable and meat recipe. I can’t think of my pantry without this humble vegetable. When I run out of ideas to cook, potatoes are always at my rescue. Though there are many ways to cook this starchy vegetable, my family favourite is this simple potato fry. Like the sambar and rasam recipe vary from family to family…you can find many simple recipes to make this potato fry too. The one I make is quick, simple and very easy….the time of cooking depends on the size of potato pieces. If I am making potato fry to go with rice and dal…I dice the potatoes into small cubes…which takes nearly 12-15 to cook.
Simple Potato Fry
- 3 medium Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp Red chili powder
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1/4 tbsp Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 1/2 tbsp. Cumin/Jeera
- 6 Curry leaves
- Make a coarse paste by mixing red chili powder and garlic cloves. Set this aside.
- Thoroughly wash and soak the potato pieces in enough water for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the water and spread them on kitchen towel/tissue to remove excess moisture.
- Add oil to pan and when it heats up add cumin/jeera. Stir till they start to splutter. Now add curry leaves and when they start to turn crisp, add potato pieces, turmeric powder and salt. Give this a gentle stir and cook covered for 5-6 minutes on low flame. Stir in between to avoid sticking to the pan.
- Once the potato turn soft, add red chili powder-garlic paste and on high flame, give a gently stir, till all the ingredients are nicely mixed.
- Turn off the flame and cover with lid for 5 minutes. Serve warm with rice and dal.
- Add love to make this simple potato fry taste ‘Yummy’.