Ambada or Red sorrel leaves or Gongura is popularly known as ‘Andhra Maata’ (mother of Andhra food). It can be said that there is no person from Andhra who does not know Gongura or who does not like Gongura. The tangy flavoured leaves make the pachadi simply delectable.
Mixing this chuteny with steamed hot rice and a dollop of ghee is a divine combination which leads you to the destination happiness. The tangyness in this pachadi and the ghee flavoured rice when mixes up tingles your taste buds. A much popular version of using gongura with mutton can be found here. There are many variations in making this gongura pachadi. Here comes simple and easy recipe in making this pachadi,
Ambadae Ki Bhaji/Gongura Pachadi
- 2 Cups fresh Red sorrel leaves, stemmed and washed
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin/Jeera seeds
- 2 Green chillis, deseeded and chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 6-9 Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add chopped onions, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, oil, green chilles, curry leaves, cumin seeds, garlic, water and cook till onions are transparent.
- Now add chopped tomoto pieces and cook till the pieces are soft. Mash onions and tomoto pieces using a spoon.
- Now add red sorrel leaves and cover with a lid.
- Cook till the leaves are tender and soft. Mash using a spoon and stir till all the water gets soaked up.
- Last but not least add your ‘love’ to make the dish ‘YUMMY’.