One pot meals are my favourite and I always look forward to try out new dishes which fall under this category. These days it is not usual that I stand in kitchen to cook full length meals….all thanks to my mom…who whizz up every meal with ease. Today she was very busy since morning stitching up a new dress for lil’M…to help her out, I said I will be making lunch. She said, no problem, I already had planned what to cook in lunch…that’s my mom who plans things in advance….wish I got that quality from her….
I said please allow me to cook as I have been thinking of making this aloo dum biryani from long. Then she said ok carry on…throwing off my laziness, I started preparations for this flavoursome rice recipe. If I add carrots, beans, peas and cauliflower…my lil’M and lil sis will have great time in picking out these vegetables from rice. So I thought of skipping all and made a simple one with only potatoes….
This ravishing one pot peal makes a good lunch box recipe or this can be a weekend brunch or a perfect winter night dinner. If you are in a mood and have got a family who loves more veggies then you can include carrots, peas, cauliflower and beans. You don’t need any other side dish to go with this….as this is a complete filling rice recipe in itself… Try this over....
FOR POTATO LAYER:
- 2 big Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- 1 Clove + 1 2 ’inch Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. Red chili powder
- ½ tbsp. Turmeric powder
- 1 green chili, slit length wise
- 2 tbsp. thick Curd/Yogurt, whisked
- 1 tbsp. Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp. Ginger-Garlic Paste
FOR RICE LAYER:
- 2 cups Basmati Rice, washed and soaked in water for 30 min.
- 2 Cloves, 2 Cardamoms & 2 1’inch piece of Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. Ginger-Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp. Coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Lemon juice
- ½ tbsp. Garam Masala
- Pinch Saffron mixed in 2 tbsp. lukewarm milk
- 2 tbsp. fried Onions, refer *NOTES below
- 2 tbsp. Ghee
FOR POTATO LAYER:
- In a heavy bottom cooking vessel, add oil along with clove and cinnamon. Add sliced onions and fry till translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry till raw smell disappears (nearly 1 minute)
- Now add potato pieces, red chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala. Fry for one minute and add ½ cup of water. Cook till potato pieces turn soft not mushy. Now add whisked curd and cook on low till gravy thickens.
FOR RICE LAYER:
- Boil rice in enough water along with cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, salt and ginger-garlic paste. Cook rice until just done. Check by pressing a grain in between your forefinger and thumb. If it is soft, then drain off the excess water from the rice using a sieve.
- Once you drain off the water then start to layer, by adding ghee to the bottom of a heavy cooking vessel (the one we use to cook rice). Add a layer of rice and spread evenly.
- Now add potato layer on the rice layer and spread evenly. Add half of fried onions, chopped coriander leaves, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, garam masala and 1 tbsp. of saffron milk.
- Cover with another layer of rice and add remaining fried onions, chopped coriander leaves, 1 tbsp. lemon juice, garam masala and 1 tbsp. of saffron milk. Now add 1 tbsp. of ghee and leave the vessel on low flame by sealing the edges of vessel and lid with aluminium foil.
- I keep nearly ½ kilo weight (my brass pestle and motor) on top of the lid to seal the aroma of biryani.
- Leave it on low flame for nearly 15-20 minutes. When you sprinkle 1 tbsp. of water on cooking vessel it has to sizzle. Turn off the flame and let it sit on stove for another 10-15 minutes before you start to serve.
- Add love to make this recipe taste 'Yummy'.
- Remove the foil slowly and then open the lid. Start by mixing from the sides using wooden spatula very gently. Add fresh minced coriander on top or fried onions on top before serving. I served this biryani with onion raita.
- In a kadai or heavy bottom cooking vessel, add 5-6 tbsp. ghee and fry finely sliced onions.
- Fry till crisp and nice brown. (Be careful, fry on low flame, stirring frequently). Now carefully using a slotted spatula separate fried onion slices from ghee. Collect ghee in a cup and set aside.
- I used the same the ghee in layering, which gives nice aroma and imparts good taste to the recipe.